Monday 29 August 2022

Some KS arrivals and other PDFs



















So I got two KS products arrive and a few other items I picked up. 

Rackham Vale - paintbox edition 💓💓💓💓
Based on art of Arthur Rackham's famous fairy tale illustrations with a healthy dose of creepy faerie stuff.  I did see a preview PDF and I'm glad to say the real book is quite a bit better (I thing the type was tightened a bit). Its top shell rtro gaming classic. Fit fine with Dolemwood and Midderlands and my next campaign Auldwood. The art is of course amazing and the writing and usability and amazing characters are fascinating. I look forward to using this. It turned out to surpass my expectations which is pretty rare.

Swords of Cthulhu 💓💓💓💣
Yet another Cthulhu for the DnD book. The main difference is it is more an ad&d feel 85 era dnd style in layouts. I have the deities and demigods versions, the Sandy Petersen Mythos for 5th ed and Crawling Chaos so do I need another one? Well the races and classes didn't really do it for me but it has lots of interesting spells and monster details. Its didnt add much to my mythos knowledge but I think it works better than a few attempts. It has a simple charm vs some attempts. Some interesting tables and astrological stuff. There is some amusing art referring to old dnd art. Has a sanity save system and huge tables for madness. Lots of tables in the back. As far as old-school aesthetics it rates high. I have PDF now and book on the way.

Seekers of the Unknown 
💓💓💣💣
A 1st Lv post apoc adventure for Mutant Crawl Classics. I was somewhat disappointed by MCC when it came out as it had no real setting even less than the fantasy version of the game which I prefer. I do like the art team on products but the Tone isn't really me. So in many ways this is a breath of fresh air. I like Umerica and and plenty of gonzo apocalypse but the tone can be quite different. So Im not in love with a few things about this. The typography often uses to many fonts per page and the cover title is a bit wonky to me. Other products in series are similar coverwise so it isn't especially this product. It has lots of good art, and full colour maps that would look good on a screen or printed up large. The full colour maps have lots of detail. They remind me of some of the game magazine battlemaps of decades ago. Possibly almost video game like. Id still like a simple map also sometimes but it has more effort put into it than anything Ive made probably. The scenario is a Parody of classic d&d adventure B1 though they don't say which module its my guess. The writing is good, it has lots of interesting encounters, technology and strange situations. The adventure includes a nice colour hexcrawl map also. It is mostly in a high tech bunker commanding Earth vs Aliens so expect extra weird secret technology. I might tweak a few elements for my setting like aliens and some of the dimensional tech but if your setting is full gonzo this would be good. Its refreshing to see different production for a MCC product and they have several other products I might check. This was POD but others in series mostly PDF as far as I can see. It does have lots of content and ideas and will look forwards to more.

Probably one of my taste things with gonzo is I like to keep it Judge Dredd straight faced and like to rationalise things in a more limited way. Im ok with teleporters but not so into aliens and dimensions. Id probably make the aliens a Bioweapon instead and tweak tech a littlebit but its just my taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome feedback but not spambots
Good feedback and suggestions inspire me to write more