Saturday 29 July 2023

Campaign Prep for SF Horror RPG



So reading and writing for my SF campaign and will be writing and publishing some stuff on this. Ruined nuclear airbase adventure recently and my Europa book out next. Back on my Exilon book too so my writing seems to be flowing again. 

One Issue has been that in my starting era I want it to be a gritty plausible setting. This realism is to help the horror elements stand out and be weird when they break these rules. Having decided what kinds of stuff I want to run I worked from there to sort out my project.

Lots of mythos SF TTRPG games seem to make weird stuff too common for me with secret gov agencies who know and players can make mythos or occult rolls in first adventure to know stuff they would be better off not knowing about so early (Cthonian Stars and Cthuhu Punk). I may avoid all name schemes from the mythos - I'm liking unique weird and never explained vs the familiar mythos taxonomy that ruins all the lurking "like a bat but not a bat" vagueness of HPL. One big benefit of SF cthulhu is I can avoid all the cultural plunder and appropriation and xenophobia and Madam Blavatsky influence on the mythos. I increasingly find Cthulhu and Runequest difficult - probably fandom is worse than any creators and i dislike seeing current indigenous ppl images used in RPG games or stated up or their culture explained by alien monsters. Im happy to be over 1890s occultism in comics and games - recent growth of misinformation cults has made them less appealing as sources.

Have been reading lots of astronomy and planetology for research too and trying to dig up info of water pressure under 100km of water would be like. More effort than fantasy probably and helpful advice like "its fantasy do whatever you want" isn't helpful. I do remember running an adventure for Cthulhu now with a sub and a marine biologist player who pointed out flaws and knew how to navigate and bugger the adventure set up. The failed realism (and railroad adventure) was a good example of what not to do. If anyone has good info on water pressure on Europa let me know - I've seen wildly different figures some ignoring the ice crust.

Here is a rundown of stuff in my RPG collection Im looking at for prep.

Buck Rogers RPG
As my setting an in-system dystopia Buck Rogers RPG has some ideas and detailed cultures. When it came out nobody was interested in playing it as RPG but some liked space combat and video game. It was in an era with less art and it was aesthetically dull look wise. If i went with a more D&D based game I might use it more. Has some good ideas and brave attempt to modernis a 1920s genre classic. Why after this they reproduced the original racist books in products full of sinister orientals was pretty amazing as even in early 90s was a bad look.

Cthulhu Rising + Jovian Nightmares
Two good chaosium monographs plus more on this link https://www.ragingtrifle.com/jn/
Lots of good stuff i can directly use and the link has adventures I'm still reading
Im probably using the start adventure on the Jovian book. Is a complete alt cthulhu varient and shame never developed more and the old website down.

Eldritch Skies
Great game without too high tech interstellar RPG. Has lots of good ideas. I don't like the alt chronology that makes it more unlike reality. Has lots of interesting colonies described and worlds to explore.

Blue Planet
As my game has lots of ruins of aliens more than aliens this game setting will fit in fine. Has lots of interesting alien tech and abilities. I always wanted a waterworld and this has done lots of work for me,

Eclipse Phase
Insane detail for in system colonies and habitats. Good horror of ancient alien relics and techhorror without any supernaturalism. Im not going full hog transhuman but still lots of good stuff. The book on exploring gates is especially good. Almost a cyberpunked up Expance.

Gurps Cthulhu Punk
Not really much in here - some of the organisations i might use. If you had any cthulhu and cyberpunk games to mash together you wont need this,

Jovian Chronicles
A mecha space opera game and at moment I'm not doing mecha but the in system cultures, detail of stations and worlds has lots of good ideas. The capital ships details i like lots. No aliens or supernatural stuff here.

Bughunters Amazing Engine
A TSR book you can get cheap. I like character designed as if you are shopping in a clone bank and dead characters can be cloned if they die. A basic space marines vs alien critters remaining from two long gone species who warred all over galaxy long ago. One is biotech other uses robotics. Some great monsters and poor vassal species designed to hate each other even though masters gone. Good modular ship designs and a good map. Great value,

Bughunters - Osprey
A space marine vs bugs sts free sourcebook. Has several well described species to be a bit like aliens and arachnids and some more but IP shaved off to be more a surprise. I will use this. Great aret and a marine section. 

High Colonies
Very underrated SF RPG. Has great info for what asteroid you were born on and good encounters section. Aliens could be reskinned to be more interesting easily or ignored. The guns are quite good. Very 2300 vibe setting but simpler. A few tables in this I have used in lots of games. The hab gen tables are good. A few pages from this i might keep on hand.

Chthonian Stars
Very nice traveller-compatible RPG on drive-through possibly some of the best ship designs with no anti-gravity. Adventure ideas are usable and the setting is pretty good. Mythos seems a bit too well-known for me. You can get the game harback on drive-through or a smaller book of ships for the void RPG that came after (no traveller specs). 

2300 2nd ed
The best value ed with best art. Great gritty plausible with really good aliens. I don't get why new version has worse art and design. Lots of good details possibly too many in some aspects. Kafer sourcebook is great. The vehichle and equipment guides are great.

Traveller
Mostly not really right for this but the patrons book is one of my biggest inspiration for using tables in an RPG. The recent Starship geomorphs book is a must for any SF game. The old black book had a good alien pyramid adventure and the FASA Skyraiders trilogy is a fantastic campaign and before the previous mentioned traveller book had fantastic geomorphs. Lots of games especially Metamorphosis Alpha needed this long ago - the huge fat MA deckplan book is so abstract its not very usable in play and not really tacticals.

Other Stuff
Gurps space and ultra tech and biotech books are good. Transhuman space setting is nice too. Been watching Aliens, Pandorum, Expance, Outland and other SF vids also. My inner worlds probably more like Ian Banks stuff than most of the above sources.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome feedback but not spambots
Good feedback and suggestions inspire me to write more