Friday 14 October 2022

Reviews of some Old-School-Essential Adventures






































I have done a Halloween special 3fold adventure on my Patreon and might make more.

I had heard some hype from these works by Brad Kerr and I liked the covers and gave them a go. There is another volume on the drive-through I will probably get. They have the kinda G+ gonzo and feel of 80s UK punk grunge I like in my game stuff. Both are digest and I got the softback. The next one is bigger and I might spring for hardcover. Both have good layouts and cover art. Simple hyper-flat illustrations like Samurai Jack a bit and adequate maps that are readable. I like the series formatting and despite the warning about the required ruleset, I think I will manage. They also have some cosmic significance to them which could influence your campaign long after which is nice.

Hideous Daylight 💖💖💖💣
This has adventurers exploring a vast magical garden. Its a bit like Gygax wonderland and a funhouse dungeon as a hexcrawl but better than that sounds. There is a strange portal to close, some weird unkillable beings some that get stronger with each encounter and lots of weird and wonderful encounters. I think some of these creatures could reappear in your campaign much later. It's like you are adventuring in a Heironamous Boshe painting.

Temple of 1000 Swords
💖💖💖💣
So its a temple of a sword god and there are more swords than you have ever seen and the god is influencing a race of subterranean duck barbarians who are battling merfolk. There are rooms with hundreds of swords and you want to find 9 parts of a special sword. I think I would make it's + increase as the wielder does so this sword lasted in the campaign. There is a table with a d100 weird swords forged by a divine being from strange materials. That alone is pretty awesome. Id likes to run this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome feedback but not spambots
Good feedback and suggestions inspire me to write more