Wednesday 10 April 2024

Gunderholfen Solo Play





































https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/265629/Gunderholfen
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/317631/darkness-at-nekemte
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/378555/bottomless-pit-of-zorth

When i first saw this book it was a bit pricey for me but is well priced now and I've seen on sale. Later i somehow ordered th pit of zorth and was surprised by it quite a bit. Its amazing and useful in a few of my settings. Then i got the Nekemte book which is a good weird dungeon and so i did get Gunderholfen.

It's quite a bit more minimalist and simpler than the other two books and at first i was a bit surprised. Many reviews complain of its brevity being like 1980 modules and having read 30 issues of Dungeon of late brevity is good. One good part of this is you could reskin the dungeon and add to it easily. I was going to use it for my current Chagrinspire as the other two adventures fit in well. 

The city encounters you could use in other cities and is pretty good. The NPC tables would be a good aid to any ad&d game.

As a mega dungeon it is not too dense yet has lots of play. Many of individual levels could be finished in a session or even half. Its a mega dungeon but you could see people play it through faster than say Barrowmaze. 

Also the adventures do have weird interesting touches particularly later in Gunderholfen. 

So given these I have been solo playing it to test my current homebrew rules. It has gone very well - the brief text is easier to engage with, no overblown text requiring comprehension rolls for the reader. So it is easy to work out objectively what your adventurers would do. This all makes it perfect for solo play but i recommend at least 3 bookmarks - one for a current place,  one for maps and one in the encounter section.

It has worked quite well with four characters and some hired followers. The first few trips were uneventful with kobolds and goblins and fairly tame encounters. Has some good monsters and a few from MM2 and FF im not to familiar with. One return trip through swap while wounded was almost a TPK when a giant dragonfly attacked which included several players reviving each other with potions in the fight. I make lots of morale checks for monsters and in a few cases the monsters fled in others they fought to the death. Lv two got a bit trickier and had two near TPK. Some annoying blobs that sucked blood and exploded if killed were a menace and players alternating reviving each other with potions made the party last long enough to win.  

Lots of cash, some scrolls not any magic weapons yet so I've allowed some to be purchased and I used my oath system and my thief ended up against killing which is a bit inconvenient.
 
Ive mostly run it in bed with a tablet of my own blog stuff, my phone with a dice app and the book. I will probably include the ad&d monster books as it will help for those critters I don't know by heart. 

Ive done 5 sessions so far and has replaced my bedtime reading for a while. 

Im also playing ravenloft 5th ed as an assamir cleric and im running TSR marvel mostly. I do hope to get back to DnD and my cthulhu in space games.

Any adventures you have run solo that worked well?

Ive been watching and a bit inspired by this vid blog and some others
This guy has a great voice and accent and adds lots of detail
https://www.youtube.com/@WizardDeadloss

I will probably get this too
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/442331/tomb-of-the-twice-crowned-king

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love and welcome feedback but not spambots
Good feedback and suggestions inspire me to write more